Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Virginia Tech Triathlon Club

Thanks to the Virginia Tech Triathlon Club, Dr. Kate of Shenandoah Podiatry was able to spread more information on foot and ankle care (especially now that it's training season)!

Listed are a few of the questions members asked:
  • Member: Should I scrape off my calluses before a run?
  • Dr. Kate: I find them to be beneficial, especially before race day. If you remove them, you might get blisters! You can certainly scrape off a couple of layers if you prefer, just don't make the skin raw and therefore vulnerable

  • Member: I have tendonitis on the top of my foot, what can I do about it?
  • Dr. Kate: Ice your foot 10-15 minutes a few times a day, stretch, don't tie shoes too tight, and try stretchy laces that you can get a Dicks Sporting Goods.

  • Member: Can you correct your overpronation?
  • Dr. Kate: There are certain ways where you can make you foot over pronate, less. You can train you foot to midfoot strike instead of heel strike as well as wear orthotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment